Wednesday, July 24, 2019

2nd Opinions Are Invaluable

 


After spending 10 days in the hospital due to severe back pain, I was told that I would need to have surgery to correct the issue. I was diagnosed with a bulging disc at L5 that was compressing the nerves on L1 and L2 causing nerve pain in my left hip and leg. I was completely laid up, unable to lie on my back, stomach, or left side and unable to sit upright in a chair without severe pain. Despite the doctor’s recommendations for surgery, I was not ready to accept this fate before trying less invasive procedures. Therefore, I began going to physical therapy 3 times per week using the McKenzie Method at Maccio Physical Therapy. Within 2 weeks, I was sitting upright for longer periods of time and was able to drive a motor vehicle once again. Over time, with consistent practice of using the McKenzie Method and regular visits to Maccio Physical Therapy, my pain decreased and my strength continued to increase. Three months later and I am now able to resume normal physical activities with relative ease. For me, those activities include hiking, running, kayaking, driving my motorcycle, playing sports with my daughter, firefighting, and returning to work in a special education classroom that requires me to do a significant amount of lifting individuals in and out of wheelchairs. By using the McKenzie Method learned at Maccio Physical Therapy, I have been able to get my life back without the need for surgical procedures. I would recommend Maccio Physical Therapy to anyone suffering from a back injury before considering other more invasive options!
-Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment